Sunday, January 18, 2009

Because "people are beginning to ask"

According to Jessica, "people" are wondering where I am.  Even though I highly doubt that anyone read my blog consistently enough to worry about my extended leave of absence, I'm choosing to humor my friend  by updating "everyone". 
 
Last month's 5k went relatively well, all things considered. I finished the race in about 30mins, and proceeded to cough up a lung all over the curb.  It was sexy baby! Jessica did extremely well.  She accomplished her main goal (not walking) and one other time goal that I can't remember.  I was so proud of her!  She finished well, and recovered well...which was something I didn't quite manage.  It took me an hour to have enough air to speak! To sum it up, the weekend was a blast.
 
The past month has been a bit of an adventure to say the least. Let me start  by talking about my next challenge.  Jessica and I are signed up to run in the BALTO 5k this weekend in my hometown, Edmond.  BALTO stands for Bring A Light To Others.  It is the annual fundraiser my high school puts on.  Each year, a different person or organization receives 100% of the donations. This year, the recipient is Diana Caporale.  Diana has been diagnosed with auto-immune hepatitis which has caused cirrhosis of the liver. There is no cure, and eventually, she will need a liver transplant.  Diana graduated from Edmond Santa Fe High School, and her family and mine have known each other for years.  Aside from the fact that I know this year's recipient, the Edmond High Schools fundraisers (all three benefit the same recipient)  are an amazing way to get high school kids involved in the lives of others.  My Dad, sister, Jessica, and I are all running together next Saturday, so naturally, I'm pumped. 
 
On a personal note, the past month has been one of the more frustrating months I've experienced lately.  I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that because of an ungodly and unnecessary amount of red tape, I am still without the medicines that my doctors call my "lifeline".   I personally despise calling any drug my "lifeline" however, having been without them for 4 months (I'm supposed to have them every day) I can safely say that I am miserable. I really hope I get them soon.  My training will be extremely difficult without them. 
 
Ok, time for a happier paragraph.  Jessica and I have chosen our tri!  We are competing in the King Tut sprint triathlon in McKinny, Texas on April 19th.  I am so excited! We finally have a date, and when I talked to my mom, she said she'd buy me a wetsuit for my birthday! Woo hoo! I also talked to Tim, and not only is he going to come to the triathlon, he said he might run a 5k with me on Valentine's Day! Granted, he only said maybe, and only because I said that was the only thing I wanted for Valentine's...but maybe, just maybe he'll like it enough to work out and then we can fulfill my workout couple dream.  =)  As far as events go, I want to do some kind of race every month.  So far, I've got the BALTO run this month, 3 events (33 mile bike race, memorial half marathon, and triathlon) in April, and hopefully an Olympic tri and marathon (?!?!) later this year.  Jessica said she's interested in doing an event every month or so also.  It'll be good to have someone to keep me honest throughout the year. 
 
And now, my "people" , this post is entirely too long.  Yes, there is much more to say, and yes I know I have starved you the past 6 weeks,  but never fear! I shall post again!...maybe...  =)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

You don't need to update me. I talk to you on a daily basis, so I don't need updates from your blog, thank you very much!

If you'll look on the comments on my blog, you'll see that Rob did, in fact, ask about you. Therefore, "people" refers to an actual person, so there you go.

Anonymous said...

Yes, It is I who am your "people" and was wondering whatever happened to you. I was on the verge of filing a missing persons report on you so you're lucky you posted today. :-) Glad to have you back and hopefully you'll stick around more.
Sorry to hear about the red tape. The whole medical field I think is a bunch of... you can put any word in there you like :-)
So you're doing that tri. Good job to the both of you. My first tri is on April 18th. Just a day before yours. I'll tell you more about that on Tuesday or so. Right now I need to get to work or I'll be without a job. Then again that would allow more time for me to blog.
So welcome back and enjoy your stay.
Keep your "people" posted now.
Yes, I am an actually person,. Jessica. Hopefully she'll believe you now. :-)
Take it easy now...