Friday, July 3, 2009

Musings of a Stir-Crazy 22 Year-Old

As you might have already guessed from my dramatic improvement in post frequency, I am extremely stir crazy and bored. :) I guess there are worse ways I could express my boredom.

The reason I wanted to post today is that I went on a bike ride yesterday! I'm not technically supposed to be sweating yet as my picc line is still in, but I went on a short ride yesterday evening anyway. Melissa and I rode about 1.5 miles up to the local pharmacy and back. It felt great! It was so nice to be outside and moving around. I could feel myself breathing hard, but I didn't cough much at all. I could even hold a conversation with Melissa the entire way! It sounds silly to be so pleased with a 3 mile bike ride, but I really am thrilled. Lately, since I haven't been allowed out of the house, training and working out are literally all I can think about. Talk about obsession! I think I'm going to go on another short ride tonight. Hopefully it won't be too muggy so that I don't sweat too bad.

On another note, I found a really awesome website today. One of my main turnoffs about the cf community (as it was presented to me) was its negativeness and seemingly low standards. I always hated people telling me that I could live a "full" life (meaning without sports and lots of treatments) with cf yadda yadda yadda. This website though talks about people who are extraordinary. There was one particular individual who after having a double lung transplant went on to complete 18 triathlons and is currently training for the ironman. Another guy raised his FEV1 (lung function test) score like 30 points by swimming! He was on the list for a lung transplant but now he functions with his own two lungs, and swims a hell of a lot better than I do. Reading this stories, I realize that I have no excuse not to live an extraordinary life...and I love it!

No comments: