Saturday, July 11, 2009

Small Set-Back

Well, as with much of life, I have good news and bad news. Good news first: I went to the doctor on Thursday and it's official...I'M OFF IV MEDICATION! The picc line is out! I'm freeeee! I can now train as much as I want and have less treatments to do.

Now for the not-so-good news: my doctor, along with my entire family, have forbidden me to participate in the Lighthouse Sprint Triathlon on August 2nd with my roommate. Even though my stubborn half knows I can do it, and wants to do it in spite of everyone's advice, I think this time, I'll sit out. I think I'm ok with it. My boyfriend, Tim, is thinking about making the Lighthouse Tri his first (instead of Redman) and my roommate is definitely still participating so I will be there to cheer them on. I can still train for the Redman Sprint Tri in September, and even though it goes against my competitive nature, my swimming could probably use the extra training time.

So today, I begin my official tri training. I found a program online that is meant to prepare a person for a sprint tri in 12 weeks. I only have 10 weeks until my tri so I'll be jumping into the 2nd or 3rd week of the program. I can do most of those distances now, but don't worry, if it's "too hard" (again with the relativity) I'll take it down a notch...really.

UPDATE: Since it's so hot outside, my mom freaked a little when I told her I was going running. It's my fault. I'm still trying to get used to how long these daily treatments actually take. I'll get up earlier in the future. So today I'll do the elliptical trainer. I don't know how long I'll do it. Is there some kind of conversion chart out there that can tell me how many minutes on the elliptical is equal to miles (or mins) running?

1 comment:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Maybe your elliptical has a mile counter on its computer. Other wise I am no help. Hope you get to feel better.