Thursday, September 18, 2008

High School Was a Long Time Ago

High school, was a very long time ago.  
I came to this seemingly obvious conclusion today after my first 5k attempt.  In high school, the 3 mile day was the "easy day".  I can remember being so excited for the day before a meet because I knew all I had to do was run 3 miles. So, today, when I was preparing for my experimental run to find out if I am fit enough to run in the Race for the Cure 5k in two weeks, I wasn't all that worried.  Three miles just wasn't all that daunting. 
Well.
I come to you now, as an enlightened, red-faced, post-puking individual, to say:  High School WAS a LONG time ago.  Don't get me wrong, I finished the "race".  I ran 3.1 miles without stopping or slowing down, but I hurt.  I managed a slow but steady pace of about 10mins per mile (30:37 for those of you counting at home), which would have been punishable by extra 400 repeats in high school for lack of effort. 
 On the contrary, today's run was the result of quite a bit of determination and pain on my part.  I finished my run with my usual kick and proceeded to hack up a lung and loose my lunch.  It was extremely attractive let me assure you. 
As of now, I'm going to go ahead and do the 5k.  I'm just going to have to train quite a bit harder from now on.

No comments: