Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Slowly But Surely?

I'm not a good swimmer. I've never been a good swimmer.  And now I'm doing a triathlon? Ha!  Don't get me wrong, I'm getting better (I think), but as it is, I can only swim about 200 yards before I get tired.  That's a quarter of the distance I need to be able to swim quickly.  Jessica, on the other hand, loves swimming. We swam yesterday, and I watched (probably with my mouth hanging open gasping for air) as she swam lap after lap as if she were taking a leisurely stroll around the park.  Gah! I'd give almost anything to be able to swim like that. 
I know we all have our "strengths".  I'm good at running, Jessica's good at swimming.  But I feel like she's improving on running faster than I'm improving on swimming. Call me childish, but I'm competitive.  I don't like having my butt kicked in the pool twice a week. =) 
We're supposed to run and bike today.  I hope we get to.  We had a girls wine and titanic night last night so we'll see.  Last night Jessica mentioned wanting to raise money for a cause (I think through a race and pledges? Not sure).  She wants to do the CF Foundation.  I don't know why I have no desire to help that particular organization.  Logically, I should be the first person to want to raise money for a cure to cystic fibrosis, but for whatever reason, anything to do with that foundation makes me want to run as fast as I can in the other direction.  Maybe I'm just a lot more immature than I thought. 
On a completely different note, Jessica told me about some of the blogs she's been reading, so I think I'll check them out.  Gives me something to do other than what I should be doing!  

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Your swimming is improving a lot. You look more confident out there too. I don't know if I'm improving faster, but if I am, then that's fine because I started off way worse at swimming than you were at running, so it makes us even! Hey, if all else fails, you can doggy paddle and catch up in the run!

Anonymous said...

Hi there..
So your the driving force around Jessica:-) She does speak highly of you. Thanks for posting on my Blog. It's nice to hear from others who are motivation and trying to better themselves in one way or another. I was in the process of training for a triathlon until I started have knee issues, which got me down a bit. I had the MRI done on it today and should know what's up with that on the 1st. Hopefully it's not that major so I can at least get back to do some more intense cardio. Oh to be young like you two are. You sure have a lot of energy to run the 5K, even though the ending wasn't pretty, as you say. I wish I could run that, but not yet. I will though and I now have the continued determination to continue on to accomplish all that I want. I think things will be better once I drop another 50 pounds.
So keep up the great work your doing and keep on pushing Jessica. I think she like that. :-) I really enjoy reading your posts too. They are very informative, truthful and you pull no punches when it comes to telling it like it is. I like that.
Keep it up...
Rob