Friday, November 14, 2008

Against the wind

I woke up this morning to a beautiful fall day in Oklahoma. The temperature was around 60 degrees, no wind and sunny.  It was great!  I went to the store and bought a bike helmet and pump so that I could go biking after I taught my class at noon.

Well.

If there's one thing I should've learned about Oklahoma by now it's that the weather never stays the same.  Around noon today a cold front came in and with it a strong north wind.  Norman isn't exactly known for it's hills, but I can tell you from experience that the north/south winds here are incredible. 
So what did I do? I went biking on a north/south route.  Genius. The wind was so strong that I could hardly peddle against it.  I would have gone another way, but at that point, I would've had to ride against the wind almost as long just to find another route going east/west. So I toughed it out.  If I had to put a distance on the workout, I'd say about 6 miles (?) or so most of it against the wind.  It took me about 40 mins.  It's not far, and I wish I could've gone farther, but my legs are jello, so hopefully it did some good. 
When I got home I decided to try and look up the 7 minute abs video that my friend Melissa has been talking about lately.  I couldn't find it so I had to ask her.  This video is AMAZING. My abs have never hurt so bad during a workout before.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVmjhNmvEwo
There are several different positions that they do for 30 seconds each 2 times. So you start out doing the ones that work your lower abs then work up to your upper abs and repeat the process.  I loved it so much I think I'm going to make it part of my daily routine.  
On a different note, I think I'm going to try and revamp my diet. I'm not sure what this means yet other than I'm a poor graduate student with extraordinary dietary needs (no really...it's incredible how much food I need) who eats crap, and I want to change that.  At this point, I'm eating spaghetti o's  at least 4 times a week.  I don't even know what's in those things!   I'm going to the grocery store today as soon as I get the motivation to get up.  I'll probably just buy some frozen fruit, yogurt, and some meat to cook with this week.   Anybody have any healthy recipes or suggestions? I'm really groping around in the dark on this one.  
Ok, I think that's about it for now.  Hope everyone has a great day!

No comments: